Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Travel--One of My Favorite Topics

December 22 – Travel. How did you travel in 2010? How and/or where would you like to travel next year?
I consider 2010 a light year in the traveling department. I made standard trips to Omaha and Lincoln and other Nebraska and Kansas towns. Can't keep a "city" girl locked up in a town of 30,000 too long. I even overnighted in Lincoln a couple of times with the little ones as well. Loved that!
In March I took Colin on a little trip to Utah. We went out for him to visit the University of Utah campus. It was on this trip that he fell in love with BYU! It's all good. Loved our time together. The Wentworth's let us stay with them and we were able to enjoy a couple of Utah Jazz games as well. Love my NBA basketball.
In July we all traveled out to Utah for a Snider Family Reunion. Daren, his brothers Roger and Phil and his sister, Myrna were all there. David and his family were unable to come out from Ohio. We had the best time. We just loved being together. We really did! We have some wonderful memories of this trip. It was a quick one...but so fun!
In August we decided to take a little "last" minute 26 hour vacation. This is probably our most favorite memory. We left at 4:00 AM for Valentine, Nebraska. We had planned on a simple tubing trip on the Niobrara River. It was so fun! We floated and laughed and ate and just had the best time. We couldn't have asked for a better day. It was so fun to just be together.
All day as we were on the river we kept kidding around about driving up to Mt. Rushmore. We were only six hours away and just couldn't pass it up. So, we did just that. We made our way up to Wall Drug, South Dakota and then over to Mt. Rushmore. We had a great time. It was an amazing day. We had to be back home by 6:00 AM so Christopher could deliver his paper route. And guess what? We made it. It was the best 26 hour vacation we have ever had!
In October I drove out to Utah with Laura. We went to see Colin at BYU and then to up to Salt Lake to go to LDS General Conference on Temple Square. We had wonderful seats for General Conference. It was a wonderful and life-changing experience. Being in the presence of the leaders of the church was so amazing. I enjoyed seeing the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing. Laura and I enjoyed the time together. I loved Laura being able to be on Temple Square. It is an experience she will very forget. Colin had his picture taken by the Deseret News. We were so excited to see it. He was flattered to have that happen. During one of the four sessions of the conference the leaders of the church announced a temple in Tijuana, Mexico. What a wonderful time for Colin to be on his two year mission there!
During this 36 hour journey to Salt Lake, Colin, Laura and I had time to spend with the Wentworth's again. We also ate at some of our favorite restaurants and shopped at some of our favorite stores. Grandma Sycamore bread and See's candy were at the top of the list. I made sure Colin had some groceries in his apartment and that he had what he needed. By the way, his apartment looked spotless. I mean his room. His roommates, well that is a whole another story.
In October I drove to Dubuque, Iowa. I had submitted a proposal to present a paper at the MIDTESOL in Dubuque, Iowa. My paper was accepted and I was more than elated! I WAS SO EXCITED! It was one of the items on my "bucket list."
For my trip to MIDTESOl, I headed out after I taught at CCC on Thursday night. I figured that if I could be in Omaha by midnight I could get a good nights sleep and then drive the rest of the way to Dubuque. It was a fun drive. I loved every minute of it! I was able to drive through Iowa--all of it and then on to Dubuque. This city sits on the rock cliffs of the Mississippi River. I just thought I had died and gone to heaven. The view was amazing as I looked out over the Mississippi and saw Wisconsin and Illinois. So fun! Adventure is my middle name!




I was able to stay in the Conference hotel. The hotel was recently restored and so beautiful. Probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. http://www.hoteljuliendubuque.com/ You can check it out here! I enjoyed a five star hotel and the wonderful spa!
I was able to stop at the Amana Colonies in Iowa and eat yummy "German" food and also do a little "outlet" shopping. I also attended the LDS ward in Dubuque.
Over all the year was one of "mini" refreshing trips. I think it will go down in Snider history as a year worth remembering.
And as for 2011. Well, I don't know if there will be much traveling on my part. I know Daren has conference in Hawaii in January. Colin leaves for his LDS mission to Mexico-Tijuana in the end part of March, with a two month stay in Provo where he will be in a language school to learn Spanish. In May, Daren and Christopher head to Europe. And so you see, I don't know if I will get to go anywhere. I am thinking that if the weather is good I want to visit family and friends in March. A dream trip would be to take the little ones to Disneyland while Daren and Christopher are in Europe. We will have to see how it all works out!

1 comment:

2pattyesque said...

You call this a "light" travel year???? Meine gute! I hardly traveled outside the county this year!