Tuesday, December 21, 2010

How Will My Life Be in Five Years?

December 21 – Future Self. Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?)

The "perfect" Ann Snider in 2015! What will I look like? Who will I be? First, let's talk about age. I will be 53. Really? Where did my life go? My husband will be 51. My oldest child will be 24. He will have returned from a two year mission in Mexico and should have finished BYU. My second son will be almost 21. He will out in the world someone on an LDS mission. Where will he be? I think French speaking. He says somewhere in China. He is very talented with languages so it could be anywhere. My only daugther will be 16. NO!!!!!! How can that be? She will be driving. She will also be dating. I hope she is as sweet and athletic as she is now. Oh boy! Watch out. My youngest will be almost 13. He will be a deacon at church and also a seventh grader. I wonder how he will be? He is so intense. Those big blue eyes will certainly help his chances of survival. :)

As for me, I will have finished my MA program at UNK. I hope to be teaching full-time. I dream of being full-time as a "faculty member." How nice would that be? I want the luxury of being a mom. Of creating a wonderful home for my children. I hope that Daren and I will continue have the strong marriage that we do. I see me in five years with no debt. It is possible. Psychically I want to see me in five years as a strong, lean, working machine! Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to know that I could run and keep on running!

My advice to myself for the next five years would be this: Treat yourself as well as you do other people. Be kind to you! Eat right. Sleep right. Exercise everyday! Study your scriptures. Be the mom you want to be. Make time for date night. Say your prayers. Put Christ and the Gospel first in your life. Be kind. Learn to control your tongue! Be gentle with others. Be gentle with yourself. Make amends! Serve others daily. Make your home a place of refugee. Make it a place where others want to come. Be a great friend. Stop talking about others. Never let an unkind word come from your mouth. Be supportive of others. Learn from their weaknesses. Get out in the community.

Hopefully as I look back at this post in five years, I will have been on the school board for three years. I want to make a difference in the lives of the children of Kearney. I think I have vision. I know how important a good education is.

Five years from now it will be 2015! I wish for peace but know that I will not see that. I want to be in a place where I can feel peace in my own life even if there is not any peace in the world!

Bring on 2015. I better get working. I don't want this advice to go unheeded!

1 comment:

Amazed said...

I'm so glad you are writing again. It was fun to catch up!