Monday, December 27, 2010

Ordinary Joy in Ordinary Moments

December 27 – Ordinary Joy. Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?

I think one of the ordinary moments that brings so much joy to me is seeing my children do their homework, practicing their piano and doing their daily chores. It makes it even better when I don't have to ask or nag. This doesn't happen very often but it does happen.

Another thought that came to me was something that happened yesterday at church. I was sitting behind an older couple who happen to have three out of their four grown children visiting with them for the holidays. One of their older children has four boys and a set of twin girls. The family has been staying at Grandma and Grandpa's for about 10 days now. You could just see that the children are out of sorts and very tired. At one point I watched this young mother balance a three-old twin girl on her knee along with a 6 year old little boy and an 8 year old little boy. All of these children wanting something from the mother and not wanting the other one to have their mom's attention. It was just an ordinary moment but tears filled my eyes as I wished that I could take this mom and put her in a church pew all by herself and allow her to worship quietly by herself. I wonder if she would enjoy it? I wonder if she was thinking the same thing as I was? I wonder if this is how it is every week for her? I wonder if she will miss this as her children grow older? It was just an ordinary moment. Nothing amazing, but I found myself with tears in my eyes as I watched this whole situation. It's just those little moments isn't it?

No comments: